Monday, January 18, 2010

Chapter By Chapter We Go...

Happy Monday!!!

I was trying to decide what to write today and not much was coming to mind. The weekend was a bust with 2 of the 4 football teams I root for losing, it's raining here in Vegas and I'm just not too motivated without the sunshine. So let's start with Chapter One of "Sensitivity 101 for the Heterosexual Male."

"Jenna" was a girl I went to school with. As I say in the book "All through first grade I was in the same class as Jenna. She was a short, roundish shaped girl who had a beautiful personality. She was the most popular girl in our class and the prettiest. She had long blonde hair that her mom put up in pigtails, and always tied with green ribbons. Jenna had freckles on her nose and under her eyes and always seemed to have a radiating glow around her.
Being that we were both smart, Jenna and I were always in the same groups. I often made her laugh with the silly things I did. I had a crush on her but didn’t know what to do about it. I remembered the talk Nana and I had about being different, sincere, and making people feel special.
One spring morning, my mom had the radio on during breakfast and the song Up, Up and Away came on. It was a catchy tune, even to a six year old, so I found myself humming it on the way to school. When I reached the schoolyard, all of my classmates were waiting outside for the bell to go in. Th is was my opportunity to make Jenna feel special and to let her know how I felt about her.
Now I wasn’t a great singer or even a good one, but I put a lot of feeling into everything I did. I started to sing, “Up, up and away with my beautiful, my beautiful Jenna” to the melody in my head. The other kids looked at me like I was crazy, but Jenna had a cute little smile on her face."

Here is a video of the original song--see if you don't feel the same way I did back then.




See now didn't that make you feel better on a rainy day?

Now for the random act of kindness this week. Again it involves me. I woke up on Sunday morning and opened my e-mail box to see an incoming letter for me. It was http://www.authors.com/ an online community I belong to. I was made a featured author by the owners of this site. What a surprise!

Since then I've had many other e-mails from the other members of http://www.authors.com/ congratulating me. Again, I feel special and humbled to be recognized for my efforts.

At least that took away some of the pain of the football losses.

1 comment:

  1. I love your writing, Philip. You took me right back to grade school and made me wish that I was Jenna. Even though it is now Tuesday you have succeeded in putting a big smile on my face.

    Congratulations on your featured author selection...you deserve it.

    Marie Rhoades
    http://SallyLeeHomeAccents.com

    http://SallyLeeByTheSea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete